March 15, 2023 | Pastor Robert Lee
Passage: Genesis 4:5-8
So Cain was very angry, and his face fell. 6 The Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry, and why has your face fallen? 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is contrary to you, but you must rule over it.” 8 Cain spoke to Abel his brother. And when they were in the field, Cain rose up against his brother Abel and killed him. (Genesis 4:5b–8)
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ (Matthew 7:21–23)
1. What were some of the highlights and lowlights of your week? Everyone needs to get a chance to answer!
2. How do you typically behave when you get really angry? Who in your life are you most frustrated and irritated by? Why?
3. As we saw in this passage and from Jesus’ words in Matthew 7:21–23, saving-faith always includes repentance (turning away from sin). So, why do you think so many young people claim to have faith in God, but never actually take steps to turn away from their sin? In fact, so many happily tolerate and justify their sin. Why?
4. Using a specific example, describe what repentance and faith looks like in your life?
5. Cain left his sin unchecked, and it led to unspeakable evil. What sin do you tend to leave unchecked in your life? What could happen if you continue to do so?
6. Close by talking with God about what He said to us tonight by answering these questions in prayer: In light of the truths revealed by God in this passage…
1) What can I praise God for?
2) What sin do I need to confess?
3) What can I thank God for?
4) What needs do I have that I need to ask God to satisfy?
RISEN is a ministry of the Sheboygan eFree Church for students in grades 6 - 12 that aims to transform lives by proclaiming the resurrected Jesus Christ in all of His grace and glory. Would you like to join us? Find more information at e-free-family.com/studentministries.